Thursday, February 2, 2012

Fix Me

In the movie “Joyful Noise”, Queen Latifah delivers a beautiful rendition of a soulful song, “Fix Me”. As I listened to her sing, I thought, “She is either a very good actress, with a very strong ability to empathize, or her life has been touched by the reality and the realization that many of us have experienced, that, at some point in our life, each of us feel the need to be “fixed”.” For many of us, yes…many of us, find ourselves at times in our lives when we are suffering from a broken, a wounded heart; feelings of uselessness, without purpose; broken, severed relationships. Many of us find ourselves in the soulful estate of a broken and suffering spirit. For we are, indeed, a spiritual being, first and foremost. When our spiritual being is not healthy, not satisfied, then our physical dwelling will not be healthy. It is not the other way around. We ARE the spiritual being, that is who we are, created; and we live in the physical dwelling temporarily. When we realize that we are that spiritual being, and when we take care of our spiritual being, then other things begin to fall into place. Our spiritual being, that is WE, long to be connected with our Creator, who is also a Spiritual Being. But sometimes our choices in life break that connection, that relationship, that we long to have with our Creator. We find ourselves feeling helpless, hopeless, but when we cry out from that empty, hollow void inside; when we cry out, “Ohhhhhhhhh, Jesus……..Fix Me!!!”, not only is He able but He is willing; not only is He willing He desires to; not only does He desire to but He longs to “fix” us; to restore us in our relationship with Him. He longs for us to know His Love. He longs for us to know His Grace. He longs for us to know His Forgiveness. It is in Him that we find our purpose, for He created us for the purpose of having that relationship; of knowing His Presence and His Love.

David had these same feelings and expressed them in different words, but with the same need:



“Out of the depths I cry to you, O Lord;
O Lord, hear my voice. Let your ears be attentive to my cry for mercy.
If you, O Lord, kept a record of sins, O Lord, who could stand?
But with you there is forgiveness; therefore you are feared.
I wait for the Lord, my soul waits,
And in His word I put my hope.” (Ps 130:1-5)

“Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions.

Cleanse me with hyssop and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.

Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.” (Ps 51)


….oooooooooOOOooooooooohhhhhh…….. Je--sus………. Fix Me!!!!!

Yes, it sounds much the same; it IS the same. But sometimes pretty words don’t come; sometimes words don’t come at all. Sometimes it is just that cry, that moan, from down deep in our being and the Spirit speaks for us…. Fix Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment