Friday, February 17, 2012

I was raised in a Protestant church. Well, actually, in a Baptist church; for many Baptists, as well as some other denominations, will say they are not Protestant. But without any doubt the "free church", if not born in the Reformation, certainly came into it own during that time. But, not the point here. The point is that I was not exposed to any of the historical writings of the Christian movement (except the Bible of course), since they came out of the Catholic church. However, in recent years (actually it has been about 15-20 now), I have studied much of the Christian church history, and have learned a good deal about men who "sold out" for their beliefs and convictions. Without getting too critical about their fine theological points, I have found much wisdom in their writings and their prayers. There again, as a Baptist, heaven forbid that we might "read" a prayer, and certainly anything which sounded like a "creed" must be evil. Actually, when most people could not read, nor could even afford a Bible if they could read, such things as memorized prayers and succinct statements of belief (creeds) were very helpful for them to understand and to personalize their faith. And, while I do not quite concur with "sainthood" as bestowed by the Catholic church, in studying the lives of many of these men (and women), they often set some very good examples for us in their dedication to things Spiritual, and the forsaking of things Material. Saint Francis of Assisi was one such individual. Being born into a wealthy family, he could have had an easy life with anything the world had to offer, but he chose to forsake all that for the sake of his worship and dedication to God. Many of his prayers are recorded, and I suppose, are memorized or at least read in the Catholic church. I don't know that for sure, since I have only been in a Catholic church for a couple of special occasions.
I recently was reminded of a quote which I remember from a Stephen Covey Leadership seminar, "Seek first to understand, then to be understood." This seemed to me to be a very simple but very wise statement to help guide my communications with others, and I have tried (sometimes not very hard) to apply this in my communications with others. And, as I remember, the Covey seminar and materials did not give any credit to another for the source of this statement or wisdom. So, it was a surprise to me when I found it in an eight hundred year old prayer; that of Saint Francis of Assisi. It is a simple prayer but packed with such wisdom which I would like to share at this point. It is called his Peace Prayer:

Lord make me
an instrument of your peace

Where there is hatred,
Let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
And where there is sadness, Joy.

O Divine Master grant that I may
Not so much seek to be consoled
As to console;
To be understood,
As to understand;
To be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive,
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned.
And it is in dying that we are
Born to eternal life.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment